Sunday, March 29, 2009

Telling People What You Do Mentally,

I think I do that sometimes. It's annoying.

But I think it's extremely annoying when you read other people's
profiles saying for example(don't want to offend certain people but I
think this is a great example), "I am a deep thinker, contemplating
about life as usual."

Do you really have to say "as usual" to make yourself seem more deeper
and wiser?

No no wait. I don't think I have a problem with people writing about
what they do mentally.

But what bothers me is when they say "as usual". Don't you think it's
absolutely unescessary(sp?)?

Another example,

"I'm being all smart and was the top scorer of our math final, as
usual."

"I'm reading about physics and getting in depth with the laws of
gravity, as usual."

"I'm always writing deep, meaningful, & philosophical thoughts into my
diary, as usual."

It sounds so, arrogant and boastful in most cases.

"As usual." Is a cry out for attention, demanding the reader to pay
attention to a detail the writer wants them to pay attention to. The
writer tries to be casual about their self promoting statement by adding
"as usual". It doesn't work.

Or at least, that is how I analyze it. I don't like cries for attention.
But hey, for some people,

"Negative attention is better than no attention."

Goodness me.

Oh and I mean, "I'm bored and playing on my computer, as usual." Would
be an exception. Anything that doesn't promote yourself or make you seem
smarter or cooler is an exception towards the "as usual" phrase.

Oh. & Sarcasm would always be an exception towards anything and
everything.

--

I want to watch the Water Horse.

~DT

0 comments: